Canadian Visa – Toronto June 2019 Programs
Please be aware that a visa for Canada may be required. Participant visa processes take at least one – two months, or even longer, and require much supporting documentation. In the past, visa delays have forced some participants to arrive late and have caused others to miss the Institute altogether. PLEASE APPLY FOR YOUR VISA EARLY.
See Canada Citizenship Immigration website for additional information, including a list of countries requiring visas for travel to Canada. Even if you don’t require a visa, you may be required to seek authorization to enter Canada in advance online. Check the information carefully.
Once we accept your application, we will provide you with a visa support letter, but you must find out from your local consulate or embassy what documents and procedure are required—it may require you to gather many documents on your end. Here is some basic information, but be sure to check locally as well:
You must have a valid passport
- Two recent passport photos are usually required. Make sure these photos meet the requirements as outlined on the website.
- Enclose the application fee. Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted. You cannot appeal a refusal.
- You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit abroad. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the visa office in your country or region.
- You will need to include other documents. These documents could be: identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from your hosts, or a proposed itinerary. Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information.
- Other information related to your ties to your home country, such as marital status, children if any, family ties, property ownership, can be helpful
- If you have traveled abroad previously, please include information on past visas as demonstrating travel history can be helpful to your application
Please note that the cost of tuition does not include accommodation or travel costs, and accommodations must be arranged and paid separately by participants. We regret that we are unable to make accommodations bookings on your behalf.
Accommodation Suggestions for Toronto, Canada:
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO RESIDENCES
University of Toronto student residences are available for short-term stays during the summer, and may be the most economical and convenient choice. The residences are within walking distance to OISE, where the institute is held, and thus will also cut down on daily transportation costs. You can arrange a booking directly with the residence of your choice. Costs range depending on the residence and duration of stay.
General info on residences at University of Toronto can be found here: http://www.housing.utoronto.ca
Classes will be held onsite at the University of Toronto law school: 78 Queen’s Park Cres. Toronto, ON M5S 2C5
We recommend: One of the least expensive options in walking distance is to stay at one of the University of Toronto dormitories or guest lodgings. Pricing and availability varies, please review various options here: http://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/hs/summer
A good inexpensive option which fills up early:
New College residence (www.ncsummer.utoronto.ca) offers rooms with shared kitchen area for about $35-40/night for short term stays.
If you wish to contact them to reserve a room you can email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone them at (1) 416-946-0529. Please confirm the rate as it may fluctuate slightly from summer to summer.
If you are interested in a hotel or guest house, these choices are within walking distance of the OISE building where sessions will be held:
a) College Hostel, 280 Augusta Avenue (Kensington Market) Tel. 416-929-4777
A backpacker style hostel located within walking distance (15 min) of the University. Located in the eclectic Kensington market neighbourhood. Single occupancy approx: $66/day or $325/week; Dorm-style shared room, simple with no real amenities: $22/day or $140/week
AIR BNB: You may also find suitable accommodation by renting rooms through the popular website www.airbnb.com