Please be aware that a visa for Canada may be required. Participant visa processes can take at least one month and even longer, and require much supporting documentation. In the past, visa delays have forced some participants to arrive late and have caused others to miss the Institute altogether. PLEASE APPLY FOR YOUR VISA EARLY.
See Canada Citizenship Immigration website for additional information, including a list of countries requiring visas for travel to Canada.
Once we accept your application, we will provide you with a visa support letter, but you must find out from your local consulate or embassy what documents and procedure are required—it can be very involved with many documents for you to gather on your end. Here is some basic information, but be sure to check locally as well:
- You must have a valid passport
- Two recent passport photos are required. Make sure these photos meet the requirements as outlined on the website
- Enclose the application fee. Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted. You cannot appeal a refusal.
- You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the Canadian visa office in your country or region.
- You will need to include other documents. These documents could be: identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from your hosts in Canada, or a proposed itinerary. Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information.
- Other information related to your ties to your home country, such as marital status, children if any, family ties, property ownership, can be helpful
- Additionally, if you have travelled abroad previously, please include information on past visas as demonstrating travel history can be helpful to your application